The Dangers of DIY Electrical Work

by | Jul 29, 2021 | Uncategorized

Home Page > Blog > The Dangers of DIY Electrical Work

All of us have tried a little home DIY. Sometimes it even works. Tightening a leaky pipe, trying to fix that funny noise your car keeps making, or maybe even something as simple as fixing a squeaky door.


But as much as we want to save money on our home repairs, there is an inherent risk when it comes to electrical work that can cause severe damage and injury- all for what seems like a quick fix.


That’s because most home-DIY electrical work is not just about a quick fix and could lead to serious injury or worse if something goes wrong.
We’re here to answer that age-old question: what’s the worst that could happen?

Fire
When untrained people tinker around inside a power box, they often trapping live wires together, creating sparks that start fires.
Small fires like these sometimes burn out quickly without causing any harm, but there have been plenty of devastatingly deadly blazes caused by amateur electrical repairs gone awry. Not only does this have the potential to cause serious damage to your property (which may not even be covered by insurance as the work wasn’t being performed by a certified professional), you could also be putting yourself and your home’s occupants in danger.

Shock
Electricity is a naturally occurring power source that can shock and injure those who come in contact with it.
It can’t be seen, smelled, or heard, so it is easy to forget that you are working with a dangerous power source. You might get an electric shock just by brushing against the metal parts of a wire that has been accidentally touched and shocked, which could lead to serious injuries like burns, muscle spasms, and heart problems.


This risk increases significantly when dealing with live wires due to their high voltage levels.

Your home’s value
With houses in Auckland flying off the shelves for big chunks of cash, this is certainly not the time to take electrical work into your own hands.
It could have implications on its resale value by not using a certified electrician to do your home’s electrical work. Homes will be inspected before sales, and if the inspector finds any faulty or dodgy work, it will likely affect the sale of your property.

Having the wrong gear
If this consequence sounds minor to you, it can only be because you aren’t a professional.
Electricians wear special clothes and shoes for protection against electrical shocks because they’re acutely aware of how much danger they could incur if they lose balance around exposed wiring, such as stepping on top of broken plasterboard flooring while wearing rubber-soled dress shoes.


If you’re not wearing the proper clothing and shoes for doing electrical work, you risk getting shocked or falling over when something breaks under your feet- leading to injuries like a slipped disc or even paralysis.

It’s essential to stay safe and hire a certified electrician for any electrical repairs you need doing in your home. They are trained in dealing with electricity safely, keeping your home in good condition, wearing protective clothing, and using special safety equipment that will protect them from serious injury if there is an accident.


No Shock has a team of trusted electricians to perform residential and commercial electrical work safely. Through our experience and dedication to our customers, we consistently deliver high-quality work. Get in touch with one of our experts today.

Is this post helpful to you? Please share to other people!

Registered Electricians

If you need an Auckland electrician you can trust, contact us for fast, friendly and efficient electrical services.